Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Junior High

Today was my son's first day of Junior High.  It is also the first time I don't have a "first day of school" picture.  Since I was pick pocketed last week and my camera was stolen, I will have to capture this moment in my memory instead of on film.  I watched him as he walked out the door in front of me, wearing his blue plaid shirt, Levi's jeans and Sketchers sneakers.  My husband and I had put aside some of our tax refund so that we could buy him nice clothes for school.  It was worth it because he looked so handsome.

Because I knew he would freak out if I displayed ANY type of affection when we got to the school, I stopped him a block away and gave him a BIG hug.  I thought an entire block was a safe enough distance from school to show him how much I love him.  WRONG!!  He did not react to well.  What is the acceptable distance these days?  Is two blocks safe to grab a quick hug?  What about three blocks?  Will that get me a kiss on the cheek?  My son was not amused.  He quickly informed me that any displays of affection are not permitted beyond the front door of our house.  How depressing.

Well, only six hours to go until he gets home from school.  You can bet that I will be waiting by the front door for my big hug and peck on the cheek!

3 comments:

OJ Gonzalez-Cazares said...

good morning! good luck to your son on his first day. I would like to understand what happens with us during our teens that make us selective haters of PDA - only if they come from the parents. Maybe is the hormones way to pretend we are "independent" adults...if we only knew.

Myrna R. said...

Every stage of our children's development is so special. And every stage seems to teach us that we must let go.

I know how you feel. But you're a good mom and are so understanding that you restrain your impulse to give affection, in order that your son may may start to travel towards adulthood. So sad and yet so rewarding.

Apron Senorita said...

Best wishes to your son. May he have a blessed school year!

Yoli : )